As an appetizer let’s try to run and visualize one of the pre-defined tutorial models in 3-D right away by performing the following steps:
1. If you chose ’N’ in the previous step, start iMOD by double-clicking iMOD_V5_1_X64R.exe.
2. Read and decide whether or not you accept the term and conditions of the iMOD License Agreement.
3. Assuming you accept, click ’Yes, I Accept’ and click ’OK’
4. When the ’iMOD Start’ window appears, click the ’Start’ button.
7. Click the button ’Start Model Simulation’ and click ’Yes’ in the confirmation pop-up window to start the MODFLOW run; a Windows Command Processor box appears echoing the MODFLOW in- and output process:
followed by an information window:
8. Click ’Ok’ in this information window, and ’Close’ in the ’Start Simulation Model’-window.
10. In the ’Topic’-list, choose ’HEAD’.
11. In the ’Layer’-window, click at least one layer, e.g. layer 1.
12. Select ’Zoom to full extent’.
13. Click the ’Open’-button to visualize the calculated heads of layer 1 of tutorial 4; click the ’Close’ button.
15. To visualize these groundwater levels in 3D right away, select ’Toolbox’ in the main menu and choose ’3D Tool ...’; click ’Apply’ to use the default settings.
16. In the ’3D Plot Settings’-window, in the ’Colouring’ sub-window choose the ’Use Colouring defined in Legend for:’-option to re-use the legend-colours of the 2D-map.
17. Change the 3D-view by dragging over the 3D-map while you keep pressing the left-, middle- or right mouse button. If you chose ’Percentiles’ in step 14 before initiating the 3D tool, the 3D-map should look similar to the figure above.
18. Optionally, in the 3D Tool change the Horizontal / Vertical ratio by selecting in the 3D Tool menu bar the option ’View’ and select ’Horizontal / Vertical Ratio’ followed by the choosing your preferred ratio.
19. Congratulations, you just visualized your first iMOD-model! You are now set to continue exploring iMOD; after completing this chapter new iMOD-users are encouraged to proceed with the tutorials (chapter 11).